Tuesday 3 April 2012

How to Make A Breakfast with No Ingredients (or Skill)

Hello there dah-lings! Now many of you, looking at the title of this post, might feel intimidated. Breakfast with no ingredients might sound a bit gourmet, but don't worry, the most amateur of home cooks can make this recipe. Proof : I served it up to my family today morning.
Hey y'all how's it going? There comes a time in the life of every teenager when she decides to cook something. When you reach this point of your life, resist it. Resist it with every fiber of your being. Unfortunately, I have no kindly elder relatives, or elderly friends or even friends, to advise me on such subjects. Therefore, today, I'm stuck with  cooking every meal, three square meals, for the gluttonous pigs that I call "Family".
This might not sound intimidating to many of you, but for a teenager with two left feet, five thumbs on each hand and no common sense, it is a daunting prospect. Among my numerous accomplishments is the ability to burn even water. The kitchen looks like the end of the second world war when I leave it. Blood and vomit everywhere. But, like the six hundred, mine not to reason why, mine but to do or die, etc., etc.
So yesterday I plugged in the laptop, whistling cheerfully, and I googled, "Breakfast recipes." After a while I realized that the results that come when you type in "breakfast recipes," were not for such as I. I typed in "EASY breakfast recipes". Most of the ingredients required were things that I, with my simple Indian palate, had never even heard of. Things like salt and pepper and other fancy foreign substances that we rustic folk could not even dream of, much less possess. Okay, true story, I decided at the last minute to make breakfast so basically there was nothing in the house. So finally I googled, "how to make a breakfast with no ingredients or skill," and the search results that came back were a)did you mean:'I'm an idiot?' (yes, yes I did) and b)imagination.
In the end, I made chocolate pancakes with almonds and honey tea.
The next morning (today) my family sat down to breakfast...for the last time. The good news is nobody died, the bad news is I'm going to be cleaning sick off the walls for the next week. Fine, I was kidding, it actually turned out awesome. Mainly because my little sister helped.
The recipe is here. It came out really well and it's really simple. Try it sometime. If you don't have margarine, which we didn't, just use butter. This stuff is pretty filling by the way so don't make too much. You can always make more if you want to but DON"T WASTE FOOD. There's the mallu in me coming out, I was wondering what happened to it.
All factors taken into consideration, I'm glad it turned out this well. I was honestly a bit worried that I'd be sending out funeral invites right now with the cause of death given as food poisoning and bad jokes. Still lunch and dinner left ( or rather 'dejeuner' and 'diner', I'm learning French this summer, more on that later). If the worst case scenario happens, I love y'all!
LOOK A FOLLOW BUTTON!!!

No comments: