Friday 26 December 2014

Merry Semi-Pagan but Still Meaningful Religious Festival!

              Merry Christmas everybody! It's been a really, really long time since I posted and my creative process is not being helped by the fact that my little cousins (10 and 5 and adorable) from Dubai are sitting next to me watching 'Super Striker' really loudly. This is a television show which, as far as I can make out, seems to be about a football team but for some reason there are yakuza involved? As soon as I get back to civilization and internet connections, I will download all the seasons and that will be my life for a while. ("I will not tell you my nakama's moves so you can make DVD!" What a beautiful sentiment. This is the true meaning of Christmas, you guys.)

             So the reason I haven't been able to  post lately, besides my crippling writer's block and basic lack of anything interesting to say, is because the last couple of months have been pretty hectic. I'm spending the Christmas holidays in Kerala and it's a nice change of pace to mark the time by the density of the swarm of mosquitoes that is eating me alive rather than the minutes of work I've put in.

           I've also been eating way too much. I looked in the mirror today and I was like, this mirror is a curved mirror, right? I'm not actually bulging like that in the middle, right? I'm consoling myself with the thought that I'll be back to Bangalore in four days, where two slices of bread and a thin layer of cholera count as a full meal. ("Honour and trust? Do not speak to me of honour and trust! Maybe you would like to make a DVD of my moves in case I ever decide to leave the nakama.")

              It's that time of year when people look back on the compromises of the past twelve months and make optimistic, and usually blatantly false, promises for the year to come. I'm mostly pleased with the way 2014 turned out. I did well in my board exams! I placed for the Albert Barrow essay thing. I did my grade 6 piano exam. I learned how to spell 'unnecessary'. I turned eighteen, although that one didn't actually take much effort. I wrote a seventy page dissertation on neutron stars! And discovered my life's calling in the process. I joined a decent college to do a decent course which I'm moderately happy doing. Looking back on this year, I can sum up its successes and defeats in three simple syllables: "Eh. Good enough."

          My resolutions list is usually something preposterous, like: achieve world peace, start exercising, stop reading regency romance literature. I'm going to set myself reasonable goals for 2015.

           Next year I would like to give more time to people and less to the internet. I'm going to try and get an internship in the Indian Institute of Astrophysics over the summer. I'm going to cut my hair short. I'm going to spend less time worrying and more time enjoying the moment. I'm going to be kinder to people, especially my immediate family. And I'm going to figure out the answers to all my moral and philosophical doubts (okay, so, most of the things are reasonable).

          I might not do all the things on this list.  I might not even do some of the things on this list. I mean, that's the real point of these resolution lists, isn't it? At the end of 2015, I'll probably just look back and say "Eh. Good enough" again, but I want to be sure, this same time next year, that I spent the whole year trying really hard to be happy. If I've learned anything over the past eighteen years, it's probably differential calculus. And also that happiness is a choice.

             So, in 2015, I'm going to be happy. And then all the other things like hardworking and fit and all that. In closing, a few days ago my sister said, "For once can we all please sit down at the table and eat like civilians?" Happy New Year all of you! Itarashai!


No comments: