Sunday 15 March 2015

Losing My Religion

                   A book was given to me by a good friend recently before he left India for the Brave New World, which is actually the Intermediate-to-Courageous, Middle-Aged sort of world right now. You know what I'm talking about. The wide open spaces full of dreams and opportunity and two cars in every garage. Two cars can't do much for you if you have no place to go. Things can't be substitutes for people, not even things as wonderful as books. I'm just eighteen and I don't know much, but I'm starting to figure this stuff out.

                  So anyway this is a book about science written by a physicist named Brian Greene. It's full of interesting questions and fascinating theories as to what the answers could be. One of the questions this book asks is 'what is reality?' And then it goes on to show you that if you define reality as all the things that can be seen, in the whole of the physical space that we inhabit, at this instant of time, then every moment of time exists in the universe simultaneously. Your past and future selves co-habit this universe along with you.

                 This leads to us strange and wonderful lines of thoughts. A time or reality (several, in fact) is present in the universe right now in which you don't exist.Your reality of existence bumps along gently beside the realities of your non-existence. And in fact if all times exist together simultaneously, you don't exist a lot more of the time than you do. It seems like wordplay but it isn't! Just think about that for a few minutes.

                 Another question the book asks is what the greatest philosophical question is. This is, of course, yet another roundabout expression of the eternal question. What is the meaning of life? What are we here for? The book says the answer to this question is another simple question. Should I kill myself or not?

                 Ultimately, according to Brian Greene, the final decision is this: to be or not to be? And all other activities that humanity engages in are pertinent only as they relate to the answer to this question. Why do we eat? Why do we fight? Why do we make love and study particle physics? To determine whether life is worth living.

                 I don't know if this is true or not because, if Brian Greene is right and I don't exist in some other time in the universe at this very moment, there doesn't seem to be much point in fussing over whether I do or not right now. I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. That's not really relevant to anything, but it sounds cool.

                 So what is The Meaning to Life, the Universe and Everything, anyway? I have no idea, I'm just eighteen. Am I ever going to know? Probably not. Am I going to enjoy the ride anyway? Hells yeah, especially since I found this website: codecademy.com. The meaning of life is HTML. Okay, bye!

No comments: